Monday, January 10, 2011

hira: a new year

a new year brings hopeful lists, extensive planning (in a brand spankin new planner), exciting classes and scary milestones---2011 looks to bring in all of these things. 2010 was a monumental year for me: 1/3 spent at the University of Maryland/DC, 1/3 spent at home on the mountain with my best friend, and 1/3 spent living in torino, italia. 12 months of adventure and newly formed friendships has left me happy.

with the approaching semester being my last at UMD, i'm determined to leave this school feeling the healthiest. not settling for satisfied. not settling. exploring ideas and entertaining thoughts that have previously frightened me or had been deemed impossible. i'm getting selfish in the best way possible.

new years resolutions have always been pending letdowns, a looming shortcoming if you will. i simply cannot imagine lofty, general goals to be achievable because i haven't outlined a precise method---my infamous love of all things lists has revealed the broader realization that i need shorter, frequent goals and commitments. these can be steps to a larger goal (one that we won't think about for sake of mental sanity). ergo, my goals for january:

1. successfully complete an application for a year of intensive language study and cultural immersion in Alexandria, Egypt (due friday)

2. move into a new house. new roommates, new experiences. a co-op house. details to come.

3. drink more green tea. all teas. in the aftermath of my semester abroad in italy, american coffee doesn't do it for me. while i can find quality caffe in certain places, i want to embrace my (forgotten) love for tea. simple.

4. reintroduce fitness into my life. for the last 6 months, my life had taken a completely new direction and forced me to reorganize my priorities in a new location. doing something everyday--whether it be my beloved yoga, a sweaty session at the gym, or a walk around DC--every day is a new chance to recommit myself to healthy living. taking the mountain with me.

5. invest more time into this blog. this speaks for itself.

4 comments:

  1. thanks natalie :) im enthralled by your experiences in france and your beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited to hear more about your goals!
    You can sure do this, girl.
    2010 was great, but 2011?
    EPIC. Trust me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great last semester at CP! I will be at UMBC for an extra semester :(
    www.supersana.com

    ReplyDelete